Friday, November 24, 2006

Animate Me Baby!

I admit it, I love cartoons. I always have. Cartoons are awesome in my humble opinion. Only in a cartoon can a talking coyote chase a beeping road runner, fall off a cliff and get up to paint a railroad tunnel on a boulder. Aaaaaaaaaaand only in a cartoon would a train come barrelling through the tunnel a few moments later. Wile E. Coyote, Super Genius proclaims his business card. How beautiful is that? But cartoons have come a long way, baby; haven't they? I just recently watched Monster House with my kids and I was pretty darned impressed. It's a scary one actually, so those who haven't seen it should probably watch it first to make sure it isn't too scary for their little ones. In fact if Monster House was live action, it would be a Steven King movie. I don't want to spoil it for those who haven't watched it yet, but it was pretty good. I don't know if everyone likes the new computer generated cartoons that have become so popular, and sometimes the characters can look a bit freaky. But the children in this movie were so endearing to me. I loved the kid called Chowder. If this kid was a real actor I'd say he was a prodigy. There has been a glut of cartoons this year though, so I've actually got some catching up to do. But with so many I end up being kind of choosy about what I want to see. This year I think I've only seen two movies, Cars and Monster House. Cars was cute, but not as innovative as Monster House IMO. I think my favorite Pixar film in recent years was The Incredibles which was released in 2004. I've watched that several times on DVD. And if you haven't watched Jack Jack Attack on the extras portion of the DVD, you must, it's hilarious. But what I like most about the movie is that I could totally buy the premise of the movie. In a world of super hero's fused with our own, couldn't you just see some yahoo suing a "super" for causing them injury while saving their life? I just loved the way the movie looked at how ridiculous our sue-happy society has become. ($2 million for spilt coffee anyone??) And that's the genius of really good cartoons; the ability to appeal to kids and adults at the same time. When I was a kid I loved Bugs Bunny. I thought that rabbit was the cleverest thing in the world. As a adult I love looking back at the old cartoons and laughing at the parodies of Humphrey Bogart and Clark Gable. I'll still never understand why my Mom didn't like cartoons, theres something for everyone isn't there? And even today, I love watching cartoons with my kids. I can easily sit down and watch Sponge Bob or Jimmy Neurton. And you can't tell me it isn't a Gen-X'er who writes Dexter's Laboratory with all the clever references to The Superfriends. So if you don't already, pull up a chair and watch some cartoons. After all, it's quality time with the kids, right?

11 comments:

Mother Jones RN said...

I love the Road Runner. Maybe one day when I have grand kids, I can catch up on all the new cartoons.

MJ

Lori Witzel said...

Chuck Jones is a god among men.

Crunchy Carpets said...

We were just talking about 'Home on the Range' as it was the last ( I think) traditional animated cartoon done (no computers!).

Have you seen 'Fosters Home for Imaginery Friends?' I love that show.

There are a LOT of kids shows (animated) just now...and sadly it takes a lot to separate the grain from the chaff. Lots of garbage.

But yeah..the classic. As Lori said, Chuck Jones...genius.

SQT said...

My daughter loves 'Fosters Home,' though I haven't watched it as much.

Let's see, I like 'Danny Phantom,' 'The Fairly Oddparents,' and 'Avatar:The Last Airbender.' And that's just among the new ones.

I am such a child.

The Curmudgeon said...

I like Foster's Home too. And Kids Next Door.

And we're all kids. Just some of us are older than others.

It's like tree rings....

Stewart Sternberg said...

I had an opportunity to interview Friz Freleng many years back. He had a wonderful sense of humor and seemed like a proud father when discussing such personalities as Yosemite Sam and Daffy Duck.

For people who may not know, Freleng came to WB from a stint at Disney. He brought with him an edginess that would help characterize WB. Freleng and Chuck Jones would be considered the dominant talents in the Warner Brothers stable of animators following WWII.


I remember at one point of the interview him discussing The Pink Panther, something he did after leaving WB. He had been especially proud of the pink feline.

Stewart Sternberg said...

And yes...Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends is among my favorite of the new animation shows.

All someone has to do is say Cheese and I usually start to chuckle.

SQT said...

As much as I like the new cartoons, and I do think Sponge Bob is great, no one can really touch the old cartoons with Chuck Jones, Fritz Freeling and Mel Blanc.

It wasn't until I was an adult that I really appreciated the genius the road runner cartoons. Those are so funny. I was always into Bugs Bunny as a kid and I loved the one's where he'd outsmart Pete Puma. Pete Puma was the character that was always after Bug's nephew. Pete would dress up as a lady and say he was the little bunny's mother. Bugs would say Oh of course, well you have to stay for tea and then he'd offer the cat some sugar and ask him how many lumps he wanted. Do you remember it now? Pete would say in a screechy voice-- Oh, three or four.. and then Bugs would hit him over the head until he had 3 or 4 lumps.

Those were the days...

Crunchy Carpets said...

Oh..I LOVED Pete the Puma....he would and still does, send me into hysterical laughter.

Jean-Luc Picard said...

Road Runner are classics. Wile E Coyote should have tried a different firm besides Acme.

Neila said...

I miss the Road Runner. Cartoons these days are no fun - way too educational. ;-)