Saturday, November 25, 2006

The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension

Lets talk cult movies for a minute. Buckaroo showed up in 1984. Now I remember enjoying it, but my husband ENOYED it. And apparently it has left a lasting impression on many people over the years. The movie had an amazing cast. Peter Weller was our hero, Dr. Banzai. John Lithgow was the fabulous comic archetype villian, Ellen Barkin was our spunky damsel in distress, and Jeff Goldblum played New Jersey one of Banzai's trusty crew. I think the funnest aspect of the film, and what no doubt contributed to its lousy results in the theatres, was that it just jumped into the film and acted like it assumed we all knew who everyone was and the back story. You got the sense that this was just part of a long story that MUST be still out there. Many have likened it to Doc Savage. I think the movie nods its head at least, to the old serialized adventures like Flash Gordon and Buck Rodgers. Wikipedia says it best: "The plot of Buckaroo Banzai is quite complex, often requiring multiple viewings before it can be fully understood. This is partly due to the fact that it spans roughly 50 years, begins in the middle of the story, and doesn't fill in some of the earliest parts of the story until the viewpoint characters themselves unravel the mystery — roughly halfway through the movie. In its essentials, the plot concerns the efforts of the multi-talented Buckaroo Banzai (whose careers include physicist, neurosurgeon, martial artist, rock musician and comic book hero) to save the world by defeating a band of aliens called Red Lectroids." It asks a lot of its audience, so if you are not into the genre, you are probably NOT going to give it a chance. I just thought it fun, quircky film, that did not take itself very seriously.

11 comments:

SQT said...

I've never seen Buckaroo Banzai. I remember when I was in High School, it was the movie, but I never had a chance to watch the whole thing from the beginning; though it doesn't sound as it if it makes any difference. ;)

But before Tivo it was kind of hard to catch and now I don't know that it's been broadcast in quite a while. Guess it's time to look it up on netflix.

Crunchy Carpets said...

The books is actually reeelly good but reallly hard to find!

Jon the Intergalactic Gladiator said...

I remember borrowing my friend's beat up tape of it back in high school to watch it for the first time. I didn't think it was that great, but I wanted to like it. The movie grows on you, though.

Jack Burton (Big Trouble in Little China) was supposed to have a cameo in the sequel, supposedly.

Crunchy Carpets said...

I love Big Trouble in Little China....

I don't know why!!

Jean-Luc Picard said...

I haven't seen that movie, but it sounds unusual.

Moobs said...

Hmm - it's off to Amazon for me then

TOM said...

One of my ALL TIME favorite movies, Lithgow saying "Take her to the Pit", or Buckaroo', "No Matter where you go, there you are." great cast, definitely cult but funny as hell...especially Lithgow.

Professor Xavier said...

I loved Buckaroo Bonzai and it was mostly because of Jon Lithgow's accent and dialogue. That guy was hilarious as a deranged psycho alien. Totally made the movie for me. I thought Goldblum was pretty funny as a pathetic nerd, too.

Neila said...

Ooooo! I have never seen that one. My favorite cult movie (everybody has one) is Rock and Roll High School.

Jon the Intergalactic Gladiator said...

Rock and Roll High School rocks!

"We're not students, we're the Ramones."

SQT said...

I used to watch 'Rock and Roll High School' all the time. I never understood the attraction to Joey Ramone though.