Sunday, October 29, 2006

Oh my......

SQT has invited me to post on her amazing blog and I am all of a twitter. I think the power has gone to my head! I have been a MASSIVE sci fi and fantasy fan since, well, forever. So is my husband...that is why we clicked. We actually clicked over James Cameron. He loved that I knew who he was. Aliens is one of my top movies. I have lost count of how many times I have watched this film. Our entire group of friends used every single one liner from this movie over and over and over. I suppose we were at an impressionable age that it lasted so long in our lexicon. I can't think of anything bad to say about the movie. The effects (for the time) were amazing. The casting great. The pacing was great, the music, the editing.....gush gush. It managed to be totally different from the first Ridley Scott film, yet Cameron kept the background story and the character of Ripley true to what we expected. Where the first movie was tense and atmospheric, Aliens was an adrenalin rush from beginning to end. Lets talk about Alien for a moment. It came out in 1979. I was ten. I did not see it in the theatres. My husband however, did. He had parents who tended to NOT read reviews and ratings. I think his experience says it all about this movie. It did NOT stay on formula. He tells me recalls the horror he felt when Captain Dallas (Tom Skerritt) bought it. He was dumbfounded. How could the CAPTAIN die!? He was supposed to be the hero!! The movie kept him on the edge of his seat all the way to the end. It was a perfect blend of sci fi and horror Something I don't think we have seen since. I won't talk about the subsequent films...3 and 4...while Finchers '3 was a good film in itself, it was not what the fans wanted to see or hear about their beloved characters. '4 was completely off the rails. Same goes for Alien vs. Predator and I cannot believe they are making a sequal to that one. I guess I am a purist! I am looking forward to the return of Cameron to 'fiction' now that he seems to have tired of the bottom of the ocean. I like his work too much. The Abyss was amazing and I think he did an amazing job with Solaris (as producer) too. We shall all wait to see what Avatar is all about. Well, I better stop for now......pace myself and all that.

12 comments:

SQT said...

Crunchy Carpets first post, yaaaa!
Thanks for joining in. I hope you don't mind, but I tweaked the settings a tad. The collapsable post template is a pain in the neck sometimes, I hope it didn't frustrate you too much.

I'm a pretty big James Cameron fan too. I have watched the Abyss more times than I can count. That was my favorite movie for years.

The Alien franchise is fantastic. Though it scared the beejeebers out of me for a long time.

And lets not forget the Terminator. 1 and 2 that is. Loove those.

Crunchy Carpets said...

Thanks for tweaking...newbie at the collapsible thingie...like it though.

Oh yah...the Terminator films rocked....I have such good memories of seeing them in the theatre.

We won't talk about that last one!

Private Hudson said...

Aliens was an awesome movie. There was this one guy in it who was just awesome. When he shot all the bugs and stuff, it was game over for them.

Crunchy Carpets said...

Alright Hudson...Drop your linen and start your grinnin!

Heh.

I should expand on my own Alien geekiness.

Back in '91 my mom and I were visiting family in London, England.

We heard of a place called the 'Alien Experience' and had to check it out. It was down at the Trocadero.

Inside we were met by a colonial marine and some other dubious looking 'civilians' (Who I think were ex Israeli Military) for a tour of the 'facility.' We head into what looks JUST like the big atmosphere complex. Everything is very dark and utilitarian. We have been told to only go where he says.

Ok.

Suddenly the alarm starts blaring and the lights go leaving us in the gloom of the emergency lights.

We can hear gun fire in the distance (pulse rifle)and screams.

Our trooper trys to call someone up on his walkie talkie..gets nothing...barks at us to stick with him and keep moving.

We start running. Lights are going steam is blasting from pipes....we are running...STRAIGHT INTO A NEST! Pulsating eggs everywhere!

We step verrrry carefully....
We head for an elevator.....the marine hits the button and we are slamming in there.....the doors seem to stick a bit and as they open up again THERE IS AN ALIEN RIGHT THERE! It grabs the closes person and they both vanish into the steam as the door closes and we are all screaming.

We head to another level...chaos seems to be there too...Marine sends us hurtling down a corridor...we turn a corner and THERE IS ANOTHER ALIEN! Hissing with arms out...we go into slo mo skidding to stop and turn all slamming into each other...my mom falls to the ground...I turn and haul her up...RUN!

We keep running....RIGHT OUT INTO THE LOBBY!!!

OMG..it was the funnest thing ever.
It was like playing all over again.

The guys had real props from the movies and everything looked great.

It is not there anymore...I tell ya..if I had money, I would do my own one over here.

hee

Jean-Luc Picard said...

I'm more of a Terminator fan myself, but Ellen Ripley is a great character.

Jon the Intergalactic Gladiator said...

Aliens is a great movie. The Vietnam metaphor is a good leaping point and the action, the tenseness, and the bleak outcome for the Colonial Marines is really well done. It is almost ruined by adding Newt, but not quite. Newt and Ripley establish the surogate mother/daughter relationship that they needed.

Crunchy Carpets said...

The Newt Ripley relationship really works when you see the Directors Cut where they focus a bit more on how she handled the fact that her daughter was now dead.

Her loss really haunts her and makes the survival of Newt all the more important.

Hey there, Skippy said...

'alien' is just splendid. it's totally about fear of the maternal body:

http://www.physicsroom.org.nz/2cents/alien.htm

Professor Xavier said...

James Cameron has it going on. I wish he would get back into the saddle and forget about all these documentaries. I want some quality Sci-Fi!

crazymumma said...

I love sci fi! My Mum brought me up on a heady blend of Ray Bradbury and Isaac Asimov, and other writers. Alien goes down as one of the most brilliant movies of all time, as does Bladerunner.

Oh! I am so chuffed to find another geek!

Crunchy Carpets said...

"Chuffed" Nobody uses that term cept me and my mom!!!!

SQT said...

Crazymumma

It's always good to have more geeks on board.