Wednesday, October 04, 2006

LOST in Primetime

It's baaaaaaaaack! Tonight, Lost returns for it's third season. I'm not as excited as I am about Battlestar Gallactica, but I like Lost and I'm interested to see if J.J Abrams can sneak in a good third season.... For those of you not familiar with J.J. Abrams, he's the guy who was behind the series Alias. He created, wrote, directed and produced it. I liked it at first, but it became very repetitious after the first season. It also didn't help that Jennifer Garner only has about 3 facial expressions. If you've read my previous posts you'll notice a theme regarding Garner. I don't dislike her, I'm sure she's very nice. I just don't think she's a very good actress. But that's a discussion for another blog. But after Alias, I was reluctant to watch another show created by Abrams. I didn't want to get sucked in only to be disappointed soon after. In fact, I didn't watch the premier when it first showed. But the reviews for Lost were very good, so in the end I relented and watched the show. If you haven't watched it, you may be wondering why I am featuring it on a sci-fi/fantasy fan blog. After all, it just appears to be a show about a bunch of people stranded on an island after their plane crashed, right? And basically, that's the surface story. But it only takes a show or two to realise that a lot more is going on than meets the eye. One thing Abrams does really well on this show is build up the background story on his characters. The whole first two seasons are shown quite a bit in flashbacks that reveal little bits and pieces of the characters stories, and how many of the passengers on the ill-fated flight had interconnecting lives that they may not even be aware of. As these flashbacks are shown interspersed with real time events, certain mystical happenings occur. Initially we see trees being felled by some strange creature, that we never actually see. Another passenger is attacked by a polar bear that has no business being on a tropical island. Other people have visions of dead relatives that lead them to other parts of the island where they learn more about their mysterious surroundings. We learn about the main characters, Jack, Kate, Sawyer, Sayid, Hurley, Michael, Locke, Charlie and Claire; and last seasons new characters, Libby, Anna Lucia and Mr. Echo. I would say the focus is usually on Jack, Sawyer and Kate, the main love triangle the show, though many other characters are brought into play. It would be really hard to go into great detail about the characters without taking up too much space, and time. But Jack is essentially our flawed hero, while Kate is the woman with the secret past and Sawyer is the obvious bad guy. Of course nothing ends up being as clear cut as that, but that's half the fun. What puts Lost in the fantasy category the most though, is what we don't know about the show. There has been a lot of conjecture about what the show is really about; and many people think that the passengers on the flight didn't actually survive, but are in purgatory. I don't know if that's the story Abrams has in mind, but it's a really good guess in my opinion. One of the plot twists that Abrams throws in is a group of people on the island that become known as "The Others." They were already on the island when the plane crashed, they're aggressive, secretive and have a completely unknown agenda. When asked who they are, they usually reply "we're the good guys." So one has to wonder, are they angels come to test the people who were on the flight to see if they are worthy of heaven? Only Abrams knows for sure and he's not telling. He probably won't tell until it looks like the show is headed for cancellation. I just hope the show continues to be as good as it was for the first two seasons for awhile. Or maybe I don't. I wouldn't mind knowing what the real story is.

No comments: