Sunday, October 15, 2006

Joss Whedon NEEDS to Return to TV!

I've been sitting around trying to think of a new post to put on my blog. I don't want it to get super stale, even though only 3 people or so check in occasionally. But that's besides the point! I do it for myself anyway. But it dawned on me that I was having a hard time thinking of something to put up because there just isn't enough out there right now. At least in my opinion there isn't. When I say that, I mean something current. There's always old movies, TV shows and books to talk about. But when it comes to what's on right now, I keep getting stuck on Battlestar Gallactica because it's the only show I think that has the level of quality I look for in a sci-fi series. Which is why I say we NEED to have Joss Whedon come back to TV! Maybe it's silly, but I probably enjoyed TV the most when Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel were on the air; both Whedon shows. And when he brought Firefly to TV, that was a brief bit of heaven. I really looked forward to that show and was very disappointed when it was pulled. Astrid mentioned on the Firefly thread that Whedon is now in the process of making Wonder Woman. Which is great, but not enough. I also looked on Whedon's bio at Wikipidea and there's no mention of any upcoming TV shows. Personally, I blame Fox. According to the bio, Whedon has said he won't work with Fox again after the way they treated his show Firefly. They cut short the run and aired the shows out of sequence. I probably shouldn't blame the Fox network. After all, Whedon could probably put a new series on the SciFi channel and it would probably do very well. Though I think a little anger at Fox is justified since they have a contractual grip on Firefly that won't allow Whedon to continue the series on another network. ( also according to Wikipedia) Just what is it about Whedon's shows that appeal to people like me? I'm not exactly sure. I wasn't even interested in Buffy the Vampire Slayer at first. The fact that it featured high school aged characters kept me from watching it for awhile. I guess I kind of assumed it was going to be a kind of Dracula meets Beverly Hills 90210. I think it was one of my friends who suggested I watch it that finally got me hooked. Ever since then I have been a loyal fan. I think what appeals to me the most is that Whedon finds a way to make the shows scary and funny at the same time. Buffy definitely got dark toward the end of the series, as did Angel. But there were always those moments that made me chuckle. Firefly had a way of doing this too. I guess Whedon is good at striking a balance that I like. I've always had my guilty pleasure shows, like Hercules and Xena, though I don't think I can say I have watched every episode of those the way I can about all of Whedon's shows. And I liked the campy goofiness of Xena and Hercules, but I can't see going to the movie theatre to watch a movie based on either of those series'. And of the shows that are on TV today, there are a few that qualify to be on this blog. I mentioned Lost already, though it only loosely fits into the fantasy category in my opinion. Hero's looks like a kind of X-Men copy, though it could be good. I occasionally watch The Ghost Whisperer, but I found that the show too often goes for the tear-jerker storyline. I have heard them say they're going to go for more scary stories in the future, but I haven't been too interested in going back. I think with other psychic shows on TV like Medium that I am getting a little tired of that storyline. And maybe that's why I crave a show by Whedon so much. I don't think anyone can say Buffy the Vampire Slayer is derivative of anything. Nor is Angel or Firefly. They have influences from other genre's like horror and cowboy westerns, but they are definitely unique. And as much as I like Battlestar Gallactica, I would really like something completely unique from Whedon. I wonder if a letter writing campaign would work??

12 comments:

astrid said...

I never got into Buffy or Angel. For some reason, inspite for plentiful arguments to the contrary, I found all the characters in them too Mary Sueish. The only characters I've seen that I consistently liked was Cordelia and Spike.

I am very much looking forward to Wonderwoman (if they'll ever start casting!), Warner Brothers produced two very good superhero movies.

I must say that the last couple years have been excellent TV viewing for me. Veronica Mars, 24, Curb Your Enthusiasm, the Wire, House, Arrested Development, the American Office, Colbert Report, BSG...my problem is that I have too much TV to keep track of. I will look forward to the return of Futurama.

SQT said...

I'm kind of surprised you never liked Buffy or Angel. The funny thing is, I never really liked Cordelia until she was on Angel, I thought she was much more intersting then. I always did like Spike though.

Oddly, the characters I liked least were Buffy and her "sister" Dawn. I really couldn't stand Dawn. But overall, I liked the shows.

I don't watch a lot of the shows you watch. I like the Colbert Report, but seldom have a chance to catch it. I don't have HBO or Showtime, so any shows on there I can't watch. Which is a bummer because they're coming out with a series based on the book Darkly Dreaming Dexter that looks like it will be good. But I can't justfy getting Showtime for one show. Ah well.

astrid said...

I watch most of my TV allotment when I'm at my boyfriend's apartment. He got a special offer from HBO or other premium networks from time to time and records the shows on DVR. At home, I'm lucky if I catch BSG on a regular basis. I used to watch the Colbert Report on YouTube, before the recent purging in light of the Google acquisition.

I never watched enough Buffy to see Dawn. The one that bugs me the most is Season 1 Willow. She just seems like a walking talking Mary Sue.

SQT said...

Yeah, Willow took a little time to develop. By the last season her character had gotten a lot darker (and homosexual). All in all, I liked her though.

Crunchy Carpets said...

Sci Fi Channel would be no good either..they are the people responsible for cancelling FARSCAPE and Stargate SG1.

These people go for low budget and low cost to them.

Thank goodness Stargate is going to do straight to dvd movies.

Farscape should do that too cept now they have the same cast!

SQT said...

BSG doesn't seem too low budget though. They have some fairly well known names too.

Though a lot of the other shows do appear low budget for sure. I tried to watch Eureka, but it just didn't click with me. Maybe I am spoiled by BSG's excellence.

Crunchy Carpets said...

If BSG gets too expensive for Sci FI..they will cancel..no matter the audience...

SQT said...

Say it ain't so!

That would truly break my heart.
Do you have a background with the sci-fi channel? You seem to know a lot about the sci-fi community in general.

Crunchy Carpets said...

I just get insiders reports via hubby and his connections and he reads all the press releases, etc.

We used to be the 'hub' of the whole entertainment and leaning mostly towards sci fi movies, etc and new all the good websites, etc...we are still 'friends' with a few but the scene has changed a bit over the years.

Watch out for our mighty empire again!!!

SQT said...

Watch out for our mighty empire again!!!

I hope so!

Stewart Sternberg said...

No more Buffy. Please. However, I would dearly love to see the return of Firefly. I thought the melding of science fiction and western was charming and edgy.

SQT said...

I can completely understand why you didn't like Buffy. But for some reason the campy silliness appealed to me.

But Firefly was the best for sure.