Saturday, October 21, 2006

How Could I Forget Star Trek?

I went to a clever site today Captain Picard's Journal, and it dawned on me that I haven't mentioned Star Trek in one post yet. Not one! What's wrong with me? I don't know if I can call myself a confirmed Trekkie. I don't even know what that entails. But I have always liked the show. It's hard to even say which one is my favorite. Though I will go out on a limb and say that If I were forced to choose between Picard and Kirk, I would have to reluctantly choose Picard. (ducks) Though in truth, I think that's more of a generational preference than anything else. In fact, I just looked up the date of when Star Trek The Next Generation Premiered, and the date listed was my 18th birthday. So there's just a little bit of bias there. I did watch the original show growing up though, which was kind of odd for a young girl. Though I did have odd friends too. My best girlfriend in high school had memorized all the dialogue of Star Wars and we used to talk on the phone while we watched Star Trek and V. Yeah, geeks, the both of us. But at this point, what can I say that hasn't already been said? Star Trek is well....... Star Trek! It's basically THE sci-fi show that defined all the shows that followed. I never really appreciated just how the good the original series was until I was older. I watched it a bit when I was a kid, but I was too young to really understand that the show was more than green women and photon torpedoes. The one thing that I've always liked about the show(s) is that they are consistently good. I kind of feel as if I grew up with The Next Generation even though it didn't hit the air until I was 18. It's the one I remember most. Though I did see almost all of the original Star Trek movies in the theatre. But I've watched them all at one time or another. The captains have all appealed to me on different levels. Picard as the intellectual, Kirk at the man of action and Janeway as TV's first female captain, among others. So I guess in a way this post isn't really about critiquing the show, it's more of a tribute. Tell me what your favorite show was, or your favorite episode. Or tell me what you didn't like about the show if you're so inclined. As long as I don't forget Star Trek, I'll feel OK about it.

5 comments:

Jon the Intergalactic Gladiator said...

There was one episode in TNG where little bug creatures latched onto the brains of several of Starfleet's flag officers and were taking over. Picard and Riker shoot the leader with their phasers, his chest colapses, and the queen bug pops out. I thought it was a bit edgy and was a bit different than the talkie plots that TNG had really established up until then. Evidently, there was talk of doing a follow up, but they never did.

Private Hudson said...

Yuck, I hate bugs.

SQT said...

Hmmmm, I can't remember the bug episode offhand. Darn it.

Too bad they didn't do the follow up. I'll have to drag out the old DVD's and see if I can find it.

Jean-Luc Picard said...

Thanks for the mention, Sqt.

SQT said...

My pleasure.