Friday, September 15, 2006

I Miss Firefly

I'm sitting here thinking about what to add to the blog and instead of thinking about books, I find myself thinking about the TV series Firefly. Like a lot of fans of fantasy novels, I also like sci-fi movies and television. I am totally hooked on the new Battlestar Gallactaca, I think it's one of the best shows on TV. And Firefly was special too in my opinion. I noticed if I look around online there are still several sites devoted to the series, even though it has been off the air for several years. Wikipedia even has a page on it.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firefly_(TV_series) So what makes Firefly special?......... Well, it was written by Joss Whedon, who also created Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel, both great shows in my opinion. So Firefly has Whedon's wit, which is always a plus. But it's different than most other sci-fi that you see. It's almost like a western/sci-fi combo. Kind of an old west feel set in space. Another thing Whedon does well is that he doesn't create characters that are one dimensional. The good guys always have a bit of bad in them, and mostly I think it makes everything a little more fun. Mal, the Captain of the ship Serenity (a Firefly class ship--hence the title of the show) ends up on the losing side of the war and ends up doing a lot of smuggling to get by. When the story begins he takes on two passengers by the names of Simon and River, a brother and sister who end up being on the run from the Alliance-- the organization of "core planets" that coincidentally won the war that Mal was on the losing side of. Mal ends up allowing Simon and River to stay on the ship in hiding from the Alliance, but it's never an easy ride for anyone. River is a genius, but an unstable one due to experiments done to her by the Alliance. This ends up putting the ship and the crew in danger on a fairly regular basis. Other characters include a loyal first mate by the name of Zoe, her husband Wash, Inara-- a Companion, which in this context is a kind of Geisha styled courtesan, Kaylee-- the very likable ship mechanic, Derrial Book-- a Shephard, which is the equivalent of a minister or priest, and Jane-- the hired muscle. I don't even know why I am spending so much time writing about the show, other than I really liked it. Fortunately, if you like sci-fi, you can buy the series on DVD and the movie Serenity is also available. The movie is quite good too, and it answers a lot of questions the show never got to. If I had my way, they'd bring the show back, but that doesn't seem likely. The wikipedia site did mention that books and comics based on the series are in the works and soon to be published, so that might be worth a look. But if you haven't seen the series, you might rent it on netflix and give it try. So it dawned on me that I should add a TV/movie section to this site, it only seems appropriate. I'll probably have to fiddle with the layout of the blog, but I've got nothing but time and really, there's no traffic to the site (yet--hopefully). If you happen to read this, and have any sci-fi television shows or movies you'd like me to add, chime in.

6 comments:

astrid said...

I rewatched all the episodes recently and it rekindled my love for this snarky, sad, funny, brillant show.

Damn you, Fox! You break my heart again and again!

SQT said...

Firefly is one of the biggest heartbreakers. I watched to movie Serenity and just wanted them to keep making more. I was really bummed that they killed off Wash though. *snif*

astrid said...

We do have Wonderwoman to look forward to. Now if they'd just cast Morena and be done with it. I hate all this speculation around stupid B-list actresses with no proven acting ability or the wrong look or is way too old...

SQT said...

I have heard talk about Wonderwoman. Are they finally getting around to making it?

Morena would be an excellent choice. I would think she'd fit the bill if they are looking for a lesser known actress. She hasn't hit it big yet, but she has proven she can act. Plus, she definitely has the look.

astrid said...

"I have heard talk about Wonderwoman. Are they finally getting around to making it?"

Yup, Joss is writing and directing, so I expect an extra large can of Whedon brand asskicking. In fact, a lot of people speculate that he was allowed to direct Serenity for Warner Brothers because they wanted him to do Wonder Woman.

He said he's looking for someone relatively young, tall and Amazon looking, so I think Morena definitely fits the bill. Morena is so radiantly beautiful and a wonderful actress to boot!

SQT said...

Wow, Whedon's doing Wonderwoman? That ought to be good. Since he used Morena in Firefly then it's a good chance he'd cast her as Wonderwoman, he seems to be loyal to his actors.